Cradle to Cradle
The Cradle to Cradle Certification evaluates and improves products by thoroughly assessing and optimizing materials and production processes. Certification means a healthy, safe, effective and quality product that is recyclable again and again.
As a non-consensus standard, Cradle to Cradle was not created by the carpet industry or any other specialty group. Founded and administrated by MBDC, Cradle to Cradle is an independent, multi-attribute product certification based on the Cradle to Cradle design protocol, a scientifically based, peer-reviewed process used to assess and optimize products and processes to maximize health, safety, effectiveness, and high quality reutilization over many product life cycles.
Cradle to Cradle is open to a wide variety of products – not just carpet – which allows for stringent criteria during the evaluation process that does not focus on one industry in particular.
The categories used to evaluate products include:
- Environmentally Safe and Healthy Materials
- Efficient Use of Water and Maximum Water Quality
- Use of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency
- Instituting Strategies for Social Responsibilities
- Design for Material Reutilization
Certified products must meet certain objectives within these categories to be certified, with additional items necessary to move from level to level. There are four certification levels:
Our Cradle to Cradle Silver Certified Product Systems:
- Eco Solution Q type 6 nylon fiber
- EcoWorx carpet tile backing
- EcoWorx Broadloom and EcoWorx Performance Broadloom backing
To learn more about Cradle to Cradle Certification, visit MBDC.